Roadmap Discussion
This would be a good place to discuss the roadmap for future lectures, separate from off topic lectures. We already discussed home networks and ISPs as the first two topics, but we should consider where to go from there.

Roadmap topics should be fundamental and be focused around newbies to IT in order to promote the field to beginners. Advanced topics can Ben covered in separate discussions or planned for additional meeting ones I would think.

Given that we've already discussed home networks and ISPs as potential topics to start our journey, perhaps these topics may be useful to consider:
-Physcial network components (switches, routers, repeaters, data lines, etc)
-7 layer model (and possibly physical topology could be combined with this)
-Data storage and usage (databases, big data, and cloud technology)
-IP addressing, and types of addresses (Class A/B/C/etc)
-Global internet distribution (undersea cables, "shares" of internet, etc)

These are just some fundamental ideas that would be interesting to new people to the world of IT. What does everyone else think?
Those are some good ideas. We can't forget the 5 layer model either as that's the one actually in use (TCP/IP). I'll start working on the road map today and see where I get.
Oh yeah almost forgot about that. That could be combined with the 7 layer model. We could use the first half of the lecture to go over the 7 layer and the second half for he 5 layer, then use that as a Segway into the following lecture over IP addressing and subnets. How does that sound?
(04-17-2017, 12:52 PM)andeevan Wrote: Oh yeah almost forgot about that. That could be combined with the 7 layer model. We could use the first half of the lecture to go over the 7 layer and the second half for he 5 layer, then use that as a Segway into the following lecture over IP addressing and subnets. How does that sound?

Let me think on it a little. I don't really want to spend an entire lecture on the two models haha. I'm still trying to put together a list of the things I actually want to cover in this first lecture thing, so it'll all depend on what all we need to go over.
That's true, depends on how much detail you'd want to go into I suppose. Could probably populate it with some other stuff.